[Gllug] Outlook exchange alternatives

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Sep 8 16:40:42 UTC 2010

On 08/09/2010 17:11, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 16:53 +0100, john maclean wrote:
>> approx 30 *nix users, 20 win users. Just about all of the *nix chaps
>> have stopped using Outlook and went the way of the gmail.

[snip]

> MS software for team and communication management is not suitable for
> any heterogeneous environment.

Definitely agree on that, despite my recent comment about suitability of
Windows for small businesses which assumed a homogeneous group.

There are more *nix users than Windows users. Sanity suggests that
choosing something that works for everyone is more sensible than trying
to please the minority of users using Outlook.

We've had some success using Thunderbird, Lightning[1] & the 'Provider
for Google Calendar'[2] to provide connectivity to Google Calendars.

The latter provides our team holiday calendar and everyone subscribes to
it. It's as close as we get to a Global Calendar and it works for us.

Lightning supports meeting requests to some extent although we don't
really use them. It even seems to have some support for sharing calendar
data with Exchange[3].

It could well provide a workable solution for everyone.

Simon.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Home_Page
[2] https://addons.mozilla.org/af/thunderbird/addon/4631/
[3]