[Gllug] Outlook exchange alternatives

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 09:20:48 UTC 2010

On 9 September 2010 09:46, Jan Henkins <jan at henkins.za.net> wrote:
>  On 09/09/10 01:57, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> I hear rumours, from my German friends, that those nice folk at Suse are
>> working on "something" to replace Exchange....
>
> Could it possibly be based on Bongo? The codebase used to be NetMail,
> then Hula (both Novell projects), and then abandoned. At least Bongo is
> still going strong.

Oooh, this does sound good.
I shall bore the list one more time with the tale of how I was the
first UK customer for the SuSE email/collaboration suite about ten
years ago.
Back then, choosing an email and authentication server was not the
almost automatic "Get MS Exchange" it is today, and I was looking for
a replacement for Netscape if anyone remembers that far back.
The SuSE product came on a DVD, and installed itself on a bare metal
server from scratch - these days that's not so impressive, but it was
then,
ie. you did not have to first install a Linux box then break out an
extra set of CDs - everything came out of the box, and worked
together.
Maybe Novell can now repeat the exercise.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk