[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Sep 16 07:38:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 21:49 +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> My Thomson Gateway modem provided by my ISP, Plusnet, says
> "up to 20 Mbps", but starts with download speeds of 10 Mbps
> plus which is gradually lowered to 6 Mbps, when the cycle
> starts again...

That's because it is a rate adaptive service and the speed is dependent
upon the laws of physics.

> That said, upload speeds are pathetic, about 400 kbps.
> Fortunately that doesn't worry me.

If you are getting 10Mb/s that means you are on an ADSL2+ service.
Perhaps they have left the upload speed set to the same as it was on
ADSL MAX hence it's up to 448kb/s. Try contacting them and see if they
are willing to remove that cap.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk