[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 21:02:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:16:47PM +0100, Gordon Joly wrote:
>   On 14/09/2010 13:05, gvim wrote:
> > I have recently had to inform a client of mine that his plan to have a home network fileserver backed up to a cloud service is unworkable because his home broadband deal typically has only 0.6Mbps upload speed. Obvious to us, maybe, but not to him. Is there a reasonably priced business-grade alternative anyone knows of which might suit his requirements?
> >
> > gvim
> >
> What I don't understand is does a limited package (e.g. 10, 20 or 40 Gig
> per month) mean?
>
> Is the allowance a sum of upstream and downstream usage?

I think that for most it means download, but I have seen some suggest both.

However: it includes *everything*, not just the content that is downloaded;
ie include TCP, IP & other protocol (eg HTTP) overheads. Also DNS & DHCP
chatter.

At a lower level: I don't know if it includes the ATM overhead, or if the
measurement happens 'further inside' the ISP and so perhaps the ethernet
headers to whatever machine does the measurement.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk