[Gllug] Outlook exchange alternatives

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 09:46:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:

> Kolab should probably be on your list -- it's the exchange replacement
> installed in Munich's local government.

Yes, but have you actually looked at it? I was initially hopeful after
seeing a (UKUUG, IIRC) talk about it. But on closer inspection, it's
*hideous*. They've basically just repeated many of the mistakes made
by Exchange/Outlook. It's tightly tied to a specific client (kmail),
for example. They could have easily come up with something more open
that could be implemented in thunderbird, evolution etc. But sadly,
that's not the route they chose :-( IIRC, they're not even using one
of the open calendaring wire protocols.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk