[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 20:56:35 UTC 2010

I have already had a flyer from BT claiming that Fibre is already available
in my area (Hornchurch).  I have a feeling that cabinet is right down the other
end of my (quite long) road, so whether the maximum speed they are claiming
is achievable remains to be seen.
At present it seems to get this wonderful new service you have to go directly
to BT.
I have no idea what their usage policy is/will be for this service.
Also, I have a vague idea (read somehwre in the past - not verified) that they
do nasty things like transparent proxying and port-blocking.
I like to have just a plain and simple 'raw' connection where I can connect to
any old port/IP-address!

Despite the wondrous claims I am sticking with my current connection - from
previous experiences with BT I can imagine that customer service would be
cr*p.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk