[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Sep 18 10:18:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:02:42PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> At a lower level: I don't know if it includes the ATM overhead, or if the
> measurement happens 'further inside' the ISP and so perhaps the ethernet
> headers to whatever machine does the measurement.

I'd be surprised if it included ATM overhead.  The only points that
see ATM would be your local router and the DSLAM at the exchange
(under control of BT?)  Back in the day when we used ATM for our local
network, the so-called "155 Mbps" could only manage about 70-80 Mbps
of measured throughput over a TCP connection because of all the ATM
cell segmentation and header crap.

I'm sure Jason will jump in and correct anything egregiously wrong in
my answer above.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones