[Gllug] Wireless repeaters

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Apr 24 11:14:37 UTC 2011

On 24 April 2011 10:14, Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  So... it's time to build some wireless access points / repeaters!  I
> have a few laptops kicking about, with wireless cards, so I figured I
> could dot these about and build a wireless network that way!

IMHO using spare computers to duplicate the functionality of an AP is a
triumph of engineering over common-sense. You'll get an AP that is less
reliable than an off the shelf product costing £10 and you won't have anyone
else to shout at if it goes titsup. It's fine as an academic exercise but I
wouldn't use it in a production network.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com