[Gllug] Phone scam?

John john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 14:10:23 UTC 2011

On Friday 15 Apr 2011 13:13:47 Sanatan Rai wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I have recently been receiving some calls by people who are clearly
> running a scam.
>
> Have any of you experienced this?
>
> Is there a way of reporting these people?

I get this every single week on a Friday. I am convinced I am being used to
train their new staff.

If you get bored ask them if they can see the Ling Liang school out of their
office window. At this point the Supervisor, who you will be talking to if you
keep them on for over ten minutes will panic and hang up.

To see their office do a google maps search for Black Burn Lane Kolkata. They
are in the office block on the corner of Suniyat St Ln.

While I know it is a scam (they are trying to get Windows users to sign up for
support), I now have a soft spot for them as they keep calling.

Normally the call is over in under ten minutes. If you get lucky (play them a
Windows start up tune helps) and you move up the levels you can get them to
stay on for longer.

Not that I am keeping a score with myself or anything so childish, but one
lunchtime I managed to get 54 minutes before they gave up in frustration
because my imaginary Windows machine did not do anything on their website.

Oddly today they did not call. Should I be hurt?

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk