[Gllug] Phone scam?

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 10:59:56 UTC 2011

On 17/04/2011 20:57, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 13:16 +0100, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>

> Incidently, the Plods have little or no computing expertise, and the few
> computer forensic moves they know are entirely defeated by the use of
> Linux, BSD or anything else that's not Windoze!

not true now and not even true for several years. i know of one
ex-'plod' who frequents this list, who had a very good linux knowledge
when he worked for the police. his knowledge helped him move into linux
system admin a few years ago.

police officers from several different forces have gone through our
computer forensics masters course over the years and with most practical
work linux based, they have to use debian for many months. some of the
disk images they analyse are constructed to make analysis by the
standard windows based tools difficult.

i meet police from various high tech crime units and of course some are
content to only use encase on windows, but some use linux and open
source tools, usually because it is the best way of doing what they need
to do. i imagine it all depends if they want an interesting job or not.

i am not a great fan of encase, but it will analyse linux based disk
images. a file system is just bytes organised into blocks with some data
structures and algorithms to stitch it all together. the algorithms are
all documented and open source is of course even easier because the code
is available.

many police forces are moving away from having police officers doing
computer forensics work and are hiring civilian technical officers
instead, mostly with a job spec that includes computer related degree.
their abilities are a different discussion.

regards

sean

> C.
>

> --

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW, UK.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk