[Gllug] OT smartphone advice

James Holland holland.james at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 10:54:59 UTC 2011

On 14/04/11 00:56, Steve Parker wrote:
>  >From my trusty old Nokia 6230i, I upgraded to the Google Nexus S a
> month or so ago. So far I'm very happy with it; it crashed a few times
> in the first few days, but has been stable since.
>
> Opera Mini seemed very good at first, but regularly came up with just a
> black screen whenever I clicked on a link. I've gone back to the native
> browser which seems okay, if not quite as good.

Dolphin seems to be the most popular browser. It seems better than the
native one.

> Vodafone's internet service is as good on this phone as on others; my 3G
> Vodafone connection from the phone is not always as good as the 3G
> connection from Three that I have via a USB dongle for the laptop.

I bought a cheap sim free Android 2.2 phone off a Chinese website for
£80 primary so I could play with Android. I'm really pleased with it as
it has 2 sim slots so I can use my normal sim and a giffgaff sim for
cheap data use. It even has analogue TV with an extendible aerial.

Unfortunately it only does gprs but I use BTFon wireless which is faster
than 3G in most places.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk