[Gllug] OT smartphone advice

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:21:23 UTC 2011

On 13 April 2011 19:20, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 16:28 +0100, Dylan wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone fancy sharing advice or opinions on the current crop of smartphones?
>>
>> What's the word on Android vs. whatever else is out there (NOT iphone - don't
>> want anything from Apple)?
>> How is the internet service from the various providers?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dylan
>>

> Mrs H and I both use Samsung Galaxy S' on Orange.  Superb results,
> pretty fast web browsing when mobile, and sensible charges.  They also
> can now use the T-Mobile network (since their recent amalgamation), so
> their coverage is fantastic.
>
> The SGS is far and away the best phone I've seen so far, and it's well
> worth playing around with the OS - it's pretty much entirely open.  I
> flash upgraded from Android 2.1 to 2.2, and have briefly flirted with a
> pre-release version of 2.3 (that was a bit rough around the edges).
> It's an interesting platform to experiment with!
>
> Other friends use (and swear by) the HTC Desire and the latest Google
> offering.  Both seem very good, but the HTC is a bit bigger than the SGS
> and I haven't really played with the Google one yet.
>
> So - my vote is for Samsung Galaxy S on Orange.
>
> Chris

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S I9000.
A word of warning. You can very easily soft-brick the SGS when
upgrading firmware.
There is a JIG that fixes it that consists of just a micro-usb
connector and a 301k resistor.
I would advise you to purchase a JIG first, before you try any upgrades.
The JIG is about £5 or less including postage.
Just go to ebay and search for "i9000 jig"
I made my own from a micro-usb connector and a purchase of 50 cheap
300K 1% resistors.
The accuracy of 300K 1% resistors is 300K -+3K.
So, I just used a multimeter to measure each of the 50 resistors until
I found a 301K one.
On my 3rd one I found a 301K resistor.

Cheers

James