[Gllug] Debian's 'interfaces', IPv6 and aliases

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 08:52:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 09:30 +0100, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> I don't know if I'm doing things wrong here, but having a mixed IPv4
> and IPv6 /etc/network/interfaces in Debian appears to be un-supported.
> Am I correct? Having:
>
> auto eth0 inet static
> 	blah
>
> auto eth0 inet6 static
> 	blah
>
> Gives and error when the network is brought up.

The syntax above is wrong. It should be something like:

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static
    blah

iface eth0 inet6 static
    blah

> Googling offers no help, nor does Debian's documentation. They only
> document 6to4 and tunnel setups for some reason.
>
> Along the same lines with IPv4 aliases. The new way of piling IP
> addresses on the main interface using 'ip' also seems un-supported by
> Debian, where you still have to have 'aliases' as in you end up with
> eth0:1, eth0:2 etc.

You can use the 'ip' command to add address to an existing interface,
such as this:

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.0.2.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.0.2.1
    up ip address add 192.0.2.3/24 dev eth0
    down ip address remove 192.0.2.3/24 dev eth0

Regards,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk