[Gllug] Debian's 'interfaces', IPv6 and aliases

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Tue Apr 19 08:30:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

I don't know if I'm doing things wrong here, but having a mixed IPv4 and IPv6 /etc/network/interfaces in Debian appears to be un-supported. Am I correct? Having:

auto eth0 inet static
	blah

auto eth0 inet6 static
	blah

Gives and error when the network is brought up. Googling offers no help, nor does Debian's documentation. They only document 6to4 and tunnel setups for some reason.

Along the same lines with IPv4 aliases. The new way of piling IP addresses on the main interface using 'ip' also seems un-supported by Debian, where you still have to have 'aliases' as in you end up with eth0:1, eth0:2 etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this more elegantly? Most importantly how to get IPv6 into the boot procedure at all, and sort-of still be Debian "compliant"? At the moment I put the IPv6 on manually when-ever I boot but apache et al fail to start up because their listening address isn't there.

Thanks
Henrik
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk