[Gllug] london hackspace news / Cheap 2nd hand rackmount servers

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 23:36:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:02:03AM +0100, JLMS wrote:
> On 2 April 2011 12:34, tid <td at bloogaloo.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>
>> I've always wondered why more companies don't see Telehouse
>> as 'risky' given it's positioning in regards to london's flood maps.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/finkangel/1932692179/

That picture doesn't cover Telehouse Docklands, which is to the North
East near the East India Docks instead of Canary Wharf. The original
Enviroment Agency is 404 now, but I suspect Telehouse would still be
in the blue region.

>> I guess it falls under 'acceptable risk' for most of the clients I've
>> dealt with. One large US newspaper conglomerate certainly felt
>> that a datacenter in Exeter was less of a risk.

But risk to what?

Most hardware is not that expensive compared to the data and service.
The data should have offsite backups, and so much of the UK's Internet
infrastructure goes through London that the service is probably going
to be seriously effected where ever you are.

And Exeter is also on river, near a flood plain. It was last flooded
in 1960, and came close in 2000:
	http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/121484.aspx?page=7&month=7&year=2010

You could stick the data centre up on the hill, but if your transport,
power and data links still go through flooded areas then you are going
to get problems.

1928 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_Thames_flood

> The physical barriers in place are more than adequate for the short
> and medium term.

There was an exercise only last month:
	http://www.exercisewatermark.co.uk/
	http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/mar/07/flood-catastrophe-exercise-watermark-emergency

Also I suspect that London being the capital, financial centre, and
largest city, is going to mean that it gets more investment in flood
protection than anywhere else.