[Gllug] UK Radioplayer

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 15:08:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 03:51:07PM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 12:27 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/
>>
>> Anyone got this working on Linux?  (I can't even navigate
>> links on the website because they require javascript).
>
> What is your objection to Javascript?

Execution of untrusted foreign code on your computer, often from
third party sites you don't even know you are accessing.

Bad code sucks up CPU cycles, slows down the browser, and can cause
lock ups.

Cross-site scripting and buffer overflow attacks in browser and plugins.

Different browsers handle it in different ways. Some older mobile
devices don't handle it at all.

Causes problems with visual impairment and other disabilities.

If you think you need Javascript to create hypertext links then you
have failed basic HTML, and are probably using a framework you do not
have the skill to debug.

> 90% of websites use it these days!

And 90% of those don't need it.

For a good compromise you can use the Firefox NoScript, and in two
clicks you can enable it from sites you trust if you need the extra
functional.