[Gllug] london hackspace news / Cheap 2nd hand rackmount servers

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 15:56:01 UTC 2011

On 2 April 2011 10:13, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> Probably because getting reliable, high quality, low latency links
> to those locations is harder.

Very true.

Remember the proposals at the eight of the last bubble to build data
centres in Iceland - when that country had a lot of money (well, you
know what I mean). Geothermal power, and they would just leave the
doors open to keep it cool.

Re. low latency links, I read an article recently on automated trading
systems - seemingly there are people taking advantage of the distance
apart of commodities/stock exchanges - ie distance apart in latency
terms- to take advantage in trades. So places in the mid-Atlantic
could be very favourable for trading servers.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk