[Gllug] Phone scam?

Sanatan Rai sanatan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 12:13:47 UTC 2011

Hi all,
   I have recently been receiving some calls by people who are clearly
running a scam.
The modus operandi is asa follows:

   * You receive a call by someone claiming to be working for a PC
support company
      or a company that works with `your ISP'. They say that they are
`seeing errors
      from your computer' and can help you sort them out.

  * They then suggest you go to a website, usually of a vendor selling
some kind of
     free desktop sharing software (Eg. www.ammyy.com).

So far I have either told them off straight away or strung them along
as far as I could.
My guess is that they attempt to either a) gain control of your PC
once the sharing software
is installed, or they get your credit card details by offering you a discount.

I called one of the companies they claimed to be calling from to
confirm the guess that
neither that company nor the software vendor have any connexion with
the scammer.

Have any of you experienced this?

Is there a way of reporting these people?

--Sanatan

--
Sanatan Rai
3, Admirals Court,