[Gllug] Phone scam?

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 15:19:50 UTC 2011

On 19/04/2011 13:52, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 19/04/11 11:59, sean wrote:
>> i am not a great fan of encase, but it will analyse linux based disk
>> images. a file system is just bytes organised into blocks with some
>> data structures and algorithms to stitch it all together. the
>> algorithms are all documented and open source is of course even
>> easier because the code is available.
> Speaking of which, is anybody aware of the principles behind LUKS;
> does it use any standard, peer-reviewed techniques, or its own "works
> for me" code to do its encryption? I find it convenient to use, but
> have no idea how secure (or otherwise) it might be.
>
> Not that I have anything in particular to hide from Her Majesty's
> finest specifically, but just wondered how effective an encryption
> method it is.

but if you did have something to hide:

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Youth-Jailed-Over-Computer-Password_27049.html

i think it can be up to 5 years for refusing to disclose a password.

reputedly they have been trying to crack the password for over 17
months. they should have bought in better resources:

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/14059/sha1-crypto-protocol-cracked-using-amazon-cloud-computing-resources/

regards

sean

> Steve
> --

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW, UK.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk