[Gllug] Scanning to network attached scanner

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 12:47:16 UTC 2011

Bob Giles writes:

>Can anyone suggest how to access the scanner connected in the way I have
>outlined? I have Googled but to no avail.

Configure saned on the box with the scanner attached to it. You'll
need to add an entry to your inetd config to start saned on demand
(documented in the saned man page), and configure your firewall to
allow incoming connections on port 6566. Add the network for which
you want to allow access in saned.conf (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24).

Then on the client machines, add the name of the server machine to
saned's net.conf and you should be good to go. No idea about Vuescan,
but you'll now be able to scan using any SANE compliant app (e.g.,
scanimage, GIMP with suitable plugin, etc).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk