[Gllug] Small form factor backup machine

Stephen Ford ascdump at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 12:18:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
> HP are doing a 100 UKP cashback deal on their Proliant microservers,
> which means that if you're in a position to reclaim VAT you can get them
> for about 80 quid, the offer supposedly ends April, but they've been
> rolling the end date forward a month every month for a while.
>
> Seems like a good deal -- they're supplied with a 250GB drive, with room
> for 3 more apparently, and have a 1.3 GHz AMD Dual core.
>
> I think I'll probably get one to replace the server under my stairs
> (which is faster, but only single core, and the HP has ECC RAM it seems,
> which is comforting) and another for at least one of my clients if
> they're any good.

These HP microservers are pretty nice, I grabbed one on this deal late
last year and would recommend it if you can stretch for the slightly
larger footprint than a two disk nas.

It supports ecc ram and non-ecc ram, so if you can get a couple cheap
£30 4gb sticks upgrade the ram cheaply.

I have also moved the 160/250gb disk to the top bay (where a cdrom can
be installed) and installed os, and that allows me to use the four
removable bays for large disks.

-Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk