[Gllug] Phone scam?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 13:00:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 01:18:11PM +0100, Phil Hands wrote:

> Ofcom's web site really doesn't encourage you to register a complaint,
> but if you follow enough links you'll find that they want you to
> download an MS-word doc, fill in a load of details about the caller you
> almost certainly won't have, and post it in with supporting documentary
> evidence.
>
> This strikes me as utterly useless.

+1

> As I just suggested to my MP, I would like Ofcom to insist that the

Hmmm: someone else who has complained to his MP about it; probably to be
told that it is a difficult problem -- which is why I said that I was talking
to him because it needs to be dealed with at the International trade talks
type level - since most of what I seem to get comes from outside this country.
He told me that he would pass my comments on - so I suspect that his dustbin
is now better informed.

> telecoms firms set up a system, whereby if one gets a call one didn't
> want, after hanging up you dial 17726 (i.e. 1-SPAM).  The exchange,
> which generally knows th CLI even for callers that were withheld[1]
> could then log the last caller's number to a complaints service run by
> Ofcom.

It would work - but would need ofcom getting off it's backside and upsetting
the telecomms industry.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/