[Gllug] Forward of moderated message

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Aug 27 04:40:41 UTC 2011

On 27/08/11 05:09, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On 27/08/2011 02:12, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> Minus Points? Poppycock! I run Photoshop regularly in Wine and it runs
>> very well.
> Wine is an emulation environment of Windows so Photoshop is not actually running under Linux natively it's merely a trick to make it usable under Linux.

I know that, and the practical difference to the end user is what exactly?

>> I also run Flash CS4 in an XP VM I made from an image of a
>> defunct XP box so the cost of an XP license is moot also - who can't get
>> their hands on an old XP box when they need one? Many of these so-and-so
>> isn't available for linux arguments are actually nonsense.
> VM or, I presume Virtual Box? Is yet again a virtual environment in this case Windows XP both examples clearly indicate Photoshop *Does not* run on Linux but you can *use it* on a Linux box under a Microsoft environment.
>
> This is a bit like having two horses pull your perfectly working car and telling everyone "Hey I'm green I am look how low my carbon emissions are" pointless.

Nonsense, if Windows were "perfectly working" I wouldn't be using linux.

A computer is a computer is a computer, what one can do all can do given
enough RAM and these days we have enough RAM. Translating between
different ABIs and APIs for practical reasons is almost as old as
computing itself and I can see no point splitting lexical hairs over
what runs "on" what... I can run Photoshop on my Ubuntu box, I can run
Spotify on it too. The overwhelming majority of people don't give two
hoots what libraries and op-codes are being used under the hood - they
only care what works and so I don't think it's a step too far to tell
them "Spotify runs just fine on linux" rather than spend half an hour
explaining native code, emulation layers and virtual machine technology
to them.

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk