[Gllug] Forward of moderated message

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 09:59:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 05:40:41 +0100
"general_email at technicalbloke.com" <general_email at technicalbloke.com>
wrote:
> On 27/08/11 05:09, Peter Cannon wrote:
> > On 27/08/2011 02:12, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> >
> >> Minus Points? Poppycock! I run Photoshop regularly in Wine and it
> >> runs very well.
> > Wine is an emulation environment of Windows so Photoshop is not
> > actually running under Linux natively it's merely a trick to make
> > it usable under Linux.
>
> I know that, and the practical difference to the end user is what
> exactly?

Actually, programs running under wine do run natively, in the sense
that via wine they make native calls to the standard glibc interfaces
into the kernel. Wine does not implement a virtual machine: it is a
thin call layer between windows interfaces and glibc and other native
linux/POSIX interfaces, much as (on a considerably smaller scale), say,
glib/gio is. I suppose you could say it implements a virtual library of
sorts.

I rarely use wine these days, except for spotify and an old version of
MS Word.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk