[Gllug] Forward of moderated message

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Aug 27 11:42:11 UTC 2011

On 27/08/11 11:06, Steve Parker wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2011 5:20 AM, "general_email at technicalbloke.com" <
> general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>> On 27/08/11 02:21, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>> general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>>> Anyway, the point I had been trying to make was that you
>> probably wouldn't have to stump up the full whack for an OS license if
>> you wan't a Windows VM (one of the few valid objections to using a VM
>> these days) as old XP machines are ten a penny.
>>
> If you read the EULA with those old XP machines, I think that you will find
> that the os license is tied to the hardware it came with
>
> Steve

Ahh you're right, I had taken their release of Disk2vhd as tacit consent
but reading closer I found this...

/"Note: Physical-to-virtual hard drive migration of a Windows
installation is a valid function for customers with Software Assurance
and full retail copies of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.
Software Assurance provides users valuable benefits---please contact
Microsoft Corporation for further information. Windows XP, Windows Vista
and Windows 7 installed by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) using
OEM versions of these products may not be transferred to a virtual hard
drive in accordance with Microsoft licensing terms."/

Bastards.

Roger