[Gllug] Forward of moderated message

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Aug 27 11:53:22 UTC 2011

On 27/08/11 12:25, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> On 27/08/11 02:21, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> But you've still got to find a copy of whatever OS it is that you need
> and install and configure it. The last time I faffed with a
> seamless-mode, it was only aesthetically seamless. I/O and network was
> still (predictably) through a very much visible VM.

Well that's why non-technical people pay people like us to set this
stuff up for them. VM's take a little configuring first time you use
them but after that they're pretty easy. I have a number of non
technical clients using them on a daily basis and they seem to have no
problems.

>> Many of the Adobe creative suite apps run OK under Wine too, so they
>> are as good as "native".
> I'd suggest that running through Wine is a lot closer to 'native' than
> through a VM, but still not really native. Despite it's name, in
> purpose WINE is effectively an emulator.

I never said it was "really native", I'm just saying as far as the end
user is concerned there's no point making a distinction.

> You're not allowed to run an OEM Windows license on any machine other
> than the one it was purchased with, and MS have also been distinctly
> suspicious of VMs, too.
>
> I've had Windows VMs break through their remote breakage of 'pirated'
> installs before. Perhaps it happens less so now - I'm not sure they're
> too bothered about XP piracy since they've all but stopped selling it.

You have a good point there, I hadn't realised they were still
prohibiting this although it seems they might have laid off the enforcement.

>> The same can't be said for Apple - don't they still explicitly forbid
>> installing OSX on anything other than Apple hardware in their
>> shrinkwrap? If so I suppose you could legally run OSX in virtual box
>> under linux as long as you were running that instance of linux on Mac
>> hardware but bleh!
> Yeah, much like the Windows EULA, though I think both demand that they
> be run on the metal, not as a guest OS.

They do explicitly allow the retail versions to be run in a VM and the
corporate version if you purchase "software assurance".

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk