[Gllug] Forward of moderated message

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Fri Aug 26 13:12:22 UTC 2011

On 26 August 2011 13:32, John G Walker <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> If this is true, the why does Photoshop win every time when someone
> asks which package people would most like porting to Linux?

I remember back in my days at MPC all the problems that Photoshop,
GIMP and CinePaint posed.

It started off with artists having a dedicated workstation with
Photoshop along with a Linux box for everything else, all linked up to
a KVM.  It was a royal PITA.  We then went through Wine (in part
thanks to the money that Disney threw at at the Wine project to
improve compatibility with Photoshop - other post-production houses
were also suffering from Adobe's lack of commitment to the Linux
platform despite the badgering and campaigning the industry were given
them).

Eventually, though, and thanks to improvements in hardware
virtualisation, we then stuck VMWare Player with virtualised images of
Windows and Photoshop on workstations loaded with RAM.

I see Adobe now allow you to "subscribe" to their products, paying
them a fixed monthly fee with or without an annual commitment.  This
may serve people who need to use Photoshop for shorter periods than
having to throw money up front.

Martyn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk