[Gllug] Linux-only companies

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Aug 26 07:34:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:07:26AM +0200, Gerardo Fernandez wrote:
> I know how Windows companies work. A domain and user accounts, so
> employees can use different computers and still access their folders,
> use printers, etc. Group policies also come handy in many cases.
>
> But how do Linux-only companies go about it? Do they try to set up a
> similar environment using Samba, ldap, NFS, etc. or do they use a
> completely different approach?

Young 'uns ...

Windows didn't invent directories.  Unix had NIS and NFS since 1985
(although NIS was called "Yellow Pages" at that time), before Windows
was even written.  Kerberos, part of the MIT Athena project, dates
from roughly the same period.

NIS/NIS+ (with or without NFS) is one approach that can still be used
today.  KRB5 can also be used on its own.  But you might want to look at:

http://freeipa.org/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones