[Gllug] Linux-only companies

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:01:22 UTC 2011

On 26 August 2011 08:34, Richard W.M. Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

>> But how do Linux-only companies go about it? Do they try to set up a
>> similar environment using Samba, ldap, NFS, etc. or do they use a
>> completely different approach?
>
> Young 'uns ...
>
> Windows didn't invent directories.  Unix had NIS and NFS since 1985
> (although NIS was called "Yellow Pages" at that time), before Windows
> was even written.  Kerberos, part of the MIT Athena project, dates
> from roughly the same period.
>
> NIS/NIS+ (with or without NFS) is one approach that can still be used
> today.  KRB5 can also be used on its own.  But you might want to look at:
>
> http://freeipa.org/

Rich, thanks for that very interesting link.

Actually, this is a very good question at this point.
The answer for most companies at the moment is that they operate both
Windows and Unix/Linux,
so there will be a corporate Active Directory, plus a separate NIS setup.
There may well be some coordination between them - microsoft Services
For Unix for example
has a username mapping service - which you use when you're using the
MS NFS client for instance.

Anyway, what I'd really like to explore is what happens ioint he near
future - witht he cloud, and with hosted apps
such as Google Apps being introduced. Are companies going to start
using (as an example) the Google identity management
stuff? I'd imagine most people are comfortable with these single ID
things for their private use - do we forsee companies deploying them
instead of Active Directory in the future?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk