[Gllug] Gllug Digest, Vol 98, Issue 4

Alec Battles alec.battles at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:52:42 UTC 2011

> So the question is: Is there a Linux user group likely to be useful for
> her to join to get some perspective and help?

in my experience, people 'raised on windows' need very little help
(see below) because they're used to not tinkering

> She isn't at all nerdy,
> quite the opposite, but not stupid. Or is there a PC shop not too far
> from Eltham that is supportive of Ubuntu?

there are plenty of places online to get free support, not that she'll
need it (see above).

it's been one year since we became an all-linux household. the wife
hasn't had any trouble adjusting to Debian (which I'd recommend over
Ubuntu as it's always faster on every single computer on which i've
compared the two... and Ubuntu is based on Debian, after all) and
neither has my stepdaughter. they haven't needed any support, but if
they did, they could always ask questions on unix.stackexchange.com
or, failing that, askubuntu.com. but, i repeat, i haven't once had to
come make something work for them. just put Debian on there, make sure
Flash and wifi are working, install any software she's interested in,
make sure she can sudo (just in case she wants to), set the root
password to something sufficiently complicated, etc... go for it.

Alec
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk