[Gllug] Linux laptops

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Tue Dec 6 00:35:28 UTC 2011

On 05/12/11 21:37, John G Walker wrote:
> What are the current suggestions for laptops running Linux?

There are a few places which do laptops with Linux pre-installed, eg:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/

And others that do laptops with no OS:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/

Last time I was looking Novatach were recommended to me, but I ended up
getting a reduced to clear Lenovo 3000 from Dabs - it was reduced
because it had no OS installed :)  I've had no problem running Fedora on
that, only requiring one non-open wifi driver from rpmfusion.

I've also had no problem getting Ubuntu working on the Fujitsu laptops
we have at work, but I've not had the chance to try on anything released
in the last 18 months.  At least if you stick with the major brands
you're likely to find plenty of others in the same boat if you do run
into problems.

Rob

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk