[Gllug] Linux laptops

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Tue Dec 6 11:51:44 UTC 2011

On 05/12/2011 21:37, John G Walker wrote:
> My years-old Thinkpad has died on me...
>
> What are the current suggestions for laptops running Linux?

I test current live CDs (usually *buntu and Knoppix) on every laptop
that we sell as we set it up for the client, out of interest.

Really there are remarkably few issues on the whole, with even the Dell
touch controls usually just working.

So this has included a sampling of this year's Thinkpad/Lenovo, Sony,
HP, Dell, Asus, Fujitsu and various Netbooks (all with largely the same
chipsets).

The usual issue as pointed out by many is that a binary driver is needed
for the Wireless chipset. Discrete graphics may benefit from a
proprietary driver too.

My personal tendency is always towards Lenovo/Thinkpad and the superb
build quality, but on the whole they are all rather good now compared
with a few years ago.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk