[Gllug] Bits of virtualisation

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 20:44:50 UTC 2011

Should I load the 64-bit offering or in practice might the 32-bit option
hold advantage?

Calling for virt-expertise please.

I have purchased two ex-lease VT-x desktops with a view to gaining some
hands-on experience of KVM and maybe 'private cloud'. Simultaneously I
have discovered that I must install Virtual Box on my Thinkpad as a
prerequisite of a course commencing next month (distributing envs in
disk image containers?).

lscpu tells me the machines are all 64-bit capable and possess
virtualisation h/w. Thus logic directs me to install 64-bit options.
However might it be better to stick with the 32-bit choice in the same
way that historically one might do similarly to avoid browser and
audio-visual issues or lesser-complete software? (for example GetFirefox
recommends that I install the 32-bit FF on the Thinkpad's
Windows-as-delivered system)
- yes, I could make different choices in the two cases...

--
Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk