[Gllug] Bits of virtualisation

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Dec 29 08:52:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 09:44:50AM +1300, David L Neil wrote:
> Should I load the 64-bit offering or in practice might the 32-bit
> option hold advantage?
>

> Calling for virt-expertise please.
>
> I have purchased two ex-lease VT-x desktops with a view to gaining
> some hands-on experience of KVM and maybe 'private cloud'.
> Simultaneously I have discovered that I must install Virtual Box on
> my Thinkpad as a prerequisite of a course commencing next month
> (distributing envs in disk image containers?).
>
> lscpu tells me the machines are all 64-bit capable and possess
> virtualisation h/w. Thus logic directs me to install 64-bit options.
> However might it be better to stick with the 32-bit choice in the
> same way that historically one might do similarly to avoid browser
> and audio-visual issues or lesser-complete software? (for example
> GetFirefox recommends that I install the 32-bit FF on the Thinkpad's
> Windows-as-delivered system)
> - yes, I could make different choices in the two cases...

64 bit.

Put Fedora 16 on the host.  Red Hat has the largest team working on
server virtualization and KVM.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/
http://virt-tools.org/
http://planet.virt-tools.org/

There are also test packages of OpenStack available if you want to try
out cloudy stuff (these are fine to try now and will be production
ready in F17):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenStack

Rich.

--