[Gllug] Bits of virtualisation

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 07:50:35 UTC 2011

Nix,

>>> Put Fedora 16 on the host.  Red Hat has the largest team working on
>>> server virtualization and KVM.
>> Yes, i would recommend using KVM instead of virtualbox.
>
> Um, David said that the course was distributing stuff as VirtualBox disk
> images. Recommending KVM is... not terribly helpful in this case. (The
> only courses that I know of that are distributed that way are some
> Oracle University courses, but maybe a few other organizations do the
> same thing.)

Sorry but I think this is largely my fault - discussing two diverse virt
projects in one email. I have taken the KVM comments to be
recommendations for the 'server' part of my project(s) and the Virtual
Box advice to suit the new=old Thinkpad.

FWIW I had been intending to take the Fedora/KVM route (exclusively),
largely because I was confident of first-hand assistance* from the likes
of virt-Rich and other GLLUG-gers - eschewing my usual practice of
CentOS on servers, Fedora on clients.

* should the incredible intellect EVER require such...hah!

The Virtual Box/course requirement came along only in the last few days
- heard about almost in-passing and with zero explanation/justification,
ie TBA 2012 - but I hate leaving infrastructure stuff to the last minute
(procrastination is for course-work!) so given that the new/old laptop
was just delivered and I was keen to Windolene* it it seemed best to
start as I might have to go on.

* wipe its Windows

Curiously, whilst working my way through the Virtual Box web site I
found the amusingly entitled: "The Fat Bloke's Shorts"
(https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBoxTV) amongst which was a video
"... episode explains how to run 64-bit guests, even when you have a
32-bit host platform." which advises that even if one installs a 32-bit
Virtual Box it is still possible to run 64-bit guest systems iff the
underlying h/w includes 64-bit VT-x/AMD-V extensions, which is
completely contrary to 'logic' and to much of the information conveyed
earlier in this thread - but I've not tried it (and have no intention,
having downloaded the 64-bit package) and have been known to grab the
wrong end of the stick before...

--
Happy New Year!
=dn