[Gllug] question about python/perl

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Feb 23 23:45:01 UTC 2011

Martin,
  It depends on where you want to head with it.  For general admin scripting
and some web backend, I would go with perl.  If it is for other uses, Python
might be better.  If it is to forward your career and let you enter the IT
world... learn Java.  Yes, I know you didn't mention Java but it is big
right now for both web application development as well as general
development.  It is not used very much for just simple scripting for general
use, but it is the flavor of choice for web application development thanks
to Tomcat, WebSphere, JBoss, etc.

  So again, it depends on what your goals are for it.

I generally find that learning another language, i.e. the syntax and general
usage, is very quick once you know more than two languages.  Learning it in
depth is another matter, but just getting up to speed to start coding is
quick.  So just learning more languages and stretching yourself is good.

Andy