[Gllug] Glxgears

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Feb 4 21:05:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:25:25PM +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> My Dell Inspiron laptop is running Fedora 14 (64-bit) and so
> far I've been happy with the performance.
>
> I now want to run some graphical applications.  To benchmark
> the system I ran glxgears which reported a consistent 59
> FPS.

The FPS glxgears reports is a measure of how fast the driver
sends frames to the screen. The fact that you see 59 FPS is
simply an indication that the driver is artifically limiting
itself to match monitor's vertical refresh rate. This is good
for normal usage because it avoids visual tearing during screen
updates, but it makes glxgears useless as a benchmark tool

> However, googling for similar data I came across sites
> reporting 2000+ FPS.

Which would be the case for drivers which aren't limiting
themselves to the vertical refresh rate

> What should I expect?

Meaningless FPS results ;-P

Daniel