[Gllug] question about python/perl

Martin mherda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 23:37:46 UTC 2011

Hi there,

My situation is as follows. My main job is not in IT. Linux is my hobby.
I'm also a freelance website designer. I'm ok when it comes to bash, started
learning php a few months ago. That's it when it comes to
programming/scripting.
Now I don't have much time to develop, but I know that SLOWLY I could
start learning
another language. I'm not going to become a proper programmer (too late
for that now),
but both as a web developer and possibly an admin in the future, I will
need another language.

I'm thinking between python and perl. I know that python has a more
modern, clear syntax and
perl might be hard to read (also depending on who codes). I know that
both languages can
be used for web development (scripts on the server), and both can be
used by system administrators.

Could you advise me on which one to focus on? As I said I don't have
time to do both and I'm not talking
about the next few months. Due to the fact that I'm busy learning python
or perl will probably take me 2 years
or so. I don't know. Just guessing. So it's a long-term plan.

You guys work in the sector so know better which one to start learning now.
btw, I've heard that London's the capital of perl:) I don't know whether
it's good or not.

As I said, I'm not in a rush. It'll take time. I hope I'll need this
skill in a few years time.

It is not my intention to start any flame war. I'm not asking which one
is 'better' just which one would
be more suitable for a programming beginner who knows some BASH and PHP
and who doesn't have
any pressing need to learn it quickly.

Thanking you.

Martin