[Gllug] question about python/perl

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Feb 24 10:14:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 23:37 +0000, Martin wrote:
> but both as a web developer and possibly an admin in the future, I will
> need another language.
>
> I'm thinking between python and perl. I know that python has a more
> modern, clear syntax and
> perl might be hard to read (also depending on who codes). I know that
> both languages can
> be used for web development (scripts on the server), and both can be
> used by system administrators.
>
> Could you advise me on which one to focus on?

The answer to that depends upon what you actually intend to do with it.

Also how good is your PHP? If you are able to program properly in PHP
(ie build properly designed applications rather than just include a few
simple elements into a html page) then you should find it fairly easy to
learn perl as it's not very dissimilar - if anything perl is easier than
PHP in my view. Python should also be easy to pick up.

In fact I'd say that if you can already program in one language then
you'll pick up enough of either perl or python to be productive very
quickly.

Generally I would say perl over python purely on the basis that you will
spend less time re-inventing the wheel. Perl benefits from CPAN which
has literally thousands of modules providing all kinds of functional
libraries. I'm not aware of anything quite so comprehensive and useful
for python.

> You guys work in the sector so know better which one to start learning now.
> btw, I've heard that London's the capital of perl:) I don't know whether
> it's good or not.

There is a very active perl mo(u)ngers group in London. I don't have
personal contact with any python user group here so I don't know how
good they may be. The London Perl Mongers regularly hold workshops, etc
where you can learn a lot.

> It is not my intention to start any flame war. I'm not asking which one
> is 'better' just which one would
> be more suitable for a programming beginner who knows some BASH and PHP
> and who doesn't have
> any pressing need to learn it quickly.

In all honesty the best way to develop is to get a pressing need to
learn it. To develop a skill you need to actually be using it regularly
and stretching yourself to do so.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk