[Gllug] question about python/perl

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Feb 24 14:00:33 UTC 2011

On 24/02/2011 10:55, James Hawtin wrote:
> Personally, I decided to learn Ruby. [...] However it is probably
> your least commerical choice unless you want to learn "Ruby on
> Rails".

I dunno. If you wanted to work on large scale systems admin using Puppet
(http://www.puppetlabs.com/) then it could be quite useful.

As the OP is a web designer, I'd recommend Javascript (specifically the
jQuery library) as building interactivity in the front-end is
increasingly important.

In the back-end I'd recommend learning the best frameworks that are
available in your language of choice. That's probably Catalyst (Perl),
Rails (Ruby) or CakePHP (PHP) but there are others.

It's really easy to write bad code in all languages, using a framework
for web development will help avoid a lot of the really insecure practices.

When you reach beyond web development to systems administration then PHP
becomes less useful. Bash & Perl are ubiquitous, python & ruby following
up behind.

I would NOT recommend learning Java unless you want to work on desktop
apps or as a developer in a corporate style environment. Yes, I know
that it's used widely but less so for web development. It really has
little to offer a web developer or a systems administrator given the
alternatives.

And just to reiterate what others have said, much like learning a spoken
language, immersion is the key to solid learning. Find a project that
you want to work on and perhaps try it out in a couple of languages to
see how they compare.

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk