[Gllug] Secure filing system?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Feb 16 14:15:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 13:18 +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
> A few years ago I went for in interview for a local government job
> immediately after a data-loss scare. Apparently all local government
> offices in the UK had been given a directive on data security and my job
> would have been to manage compliance. One of the clauses was that
> sensitive personal data was not to be taken off site at all under any
> circumstances. Of course that meant that if there was a fire and
> somebody died then all of the records of their next of kin would be in
> the ashes. I pointed this out at interview and didn't get the job.
> Apparently I'm too Bolshie to work for a labour council.

Or that you lacked the imagination to suggest that the "off site" back
ups be held onsite - just at a separate "onsite" that is part of the
same local government organisation. That way you could have ensured data
protection (the first part of which is still actually having the data in
the event of an incident) while also keeping the idiots who thought they
were in charge of such policies content in their stupidity.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk