[Gllug] Secure filing system?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:20:25 UTC 2011

On 16 February 2011 13:50, Bernard Peek <bap at shrdlu.com> wrote:
> On 16/02/11 13:21, John Edwards wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:18:06PM +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> A few years ago I went for in interview for a local government job
>>> immediately after a data-loss scare. Apparently all local government
>>> offices in the UK had been given a directive on data security and my job
>>> would have been to manage compliance. One of the clauses was that
>>> sensitive personal data was not to be taken off site at all under any
>>> circumstances. Of course that meant that if there was a fire and
>>> somebody died then all of the records of their next of kin would be in
>>> the ashes. I pointed this out at interview and didn't get the job.
>>> Apparently I'm too Bolshie to work for a labour council.
>> Someone (you or them) should have known the need for off-site backups.
>
> I knew but I was told that they weren't permitted.

That is fairly standard requirement.
The trick is to read it correctly.
"sensitive personal data was not to be taken off site at all under any
circumstances."

Now, lets simplify this.
Take some data and call is "Classified". This is your personal data.
You may introduce encryption software, so that when data is encrypted
the data is classified as "Unclassified".
So, this "Unclassified" form is therefore considered not to contain
any sensitive data, and can then be taken off site.

This is how people get to transmit TOP SECRET data over radio
communication links. It gets encrypted first.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk