[Gllug] OT: Police Web Site

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Fri Feb 4 13:52:57 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 18:08, - Tethys wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Walter Stanish
> <walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com>  wrote:
>
>> One could also exclaim:
>>   "Postcodes are never displayed in cursive script!"
>>   "Every UK customer has a postcode!"
>>   "Not knowing your postcode is an edge case that is not worth
>>   considering in our interface design!"
>> ... etc.
>>
>> Each would be wrong.
>
> "Every customer will have at least two names"

And of course, US sites that asssume 'everyone will have a first, last
name and a middle initial - but not more than one' and (for an example)
sites that only permit one second name - which does not work well with
the name on the debit card for (at least) Spanish speaking cultures,
where you have a name, a patronymic and a matronymic (which don't change
with marriage - another bad assumption on 'anglo-sajon' speaking
websites... or assumptions that a male and female child will all get
their father's name, which is not true in so many cultures, Europe and
Worldwide.

In fact assumptions on names are typically problematic.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk