[Gllug] Multi-voltage power adaptors

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Mon Feb 7 11:59:41 UTC 2011

On 07/02/11 11:38, Andrew Back wrote:
> On (10:58 07/02/11), dominicwalden at tesco.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT (for £15 bought as shown) without a power adaptor. It didn't power up when someone tested it for me, but I'd need to get my own adaptor in order to diagnose what the problem is.
>>
>> So, I have two options. One is to buy a single voltage power adaptor suited for this laptop (for about £20), or buy a multi-voltage adaptor (I was thinking Maplins unless there are better places, for about £25-30). My question is whether there would be advantage to getting a multi-voltage. It would mean that if the Sat didn't work I could always use it for other laptops (thus I don't waste £20). But, would the single voltage be better 'performance-wise' (I dunno if that would be the right way to put it, I know very little about laptops im afraid), would there be a risk with the multi-voltage of being of it lower quality or behaving weirdly (power surges, not sticking to its designated voltage, etc.)?
>
> I suspect it will ultimately come down to quality. The main consideration
> should be that it's regulated.

While agreeing with the general tenor of previous comments, our
practical experience (of fairly regularly having to source replacement
external power supplies for laptops) is that as long as one buys a
respectable make (and Maplin probably just sneaks in) there is very
little practical difference between single output voltage and switched
replacement supplies: we have had zero failures of replacements of
either type over the last ten years.

All else being equal, a switched-voltage external supply will be larger
than a fixed voltage one supplying the same current, as the inductors
cannot be optimally targeted at a single voltage/current balance.

But really, there's not a lot in it.

Also, the (nowadays almost always) single voltage supplied is always
internally modified (by DC/DC conversion) to the necessary voltages for
the components and batter charging: Li-Ion cells in particular have
critical voltage and current control requirements not ever (in our
experience, anyway) provided by the external adaptor, which is best
though of as a pre-regulator.

Moreover, we have found that with some ranges of laptops (Sony comes to
mind) the only practical difference between using the proper supply and
one rated at lower amperage is a much slower charge cycle. I'd never
recommend this, though, except on very rare occasions and in extremis...
you don't want either a power supply, or worse, a Li-Ion battery, to
blow up. Do not try this at home.

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com