[Gllug] Multi-voltage power adaptors

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Feb 8 06:19:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 10:58 +0000, dominicwalden at tesco.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT (for £15 bought as shown) without a power adaptor. It didn't power up when someone tested it for me, but I'd need to get my own adaptor in order to diagnose what the problem is.
>
> So, I have two options. One is to buy a single voltage power adaptor suited for this laptop (for about £20), or buy a multi-voltage adaptor (I was thinking Maplins unless there are better places, for about £25-30). My question is whether there would be advantage to getting a multi-voltage. It would mean that if the Sat didn't work I could always use it for other laptops (thus I don't waste £20). But, would the single voltage be better 'performance-wise' (I dunno if that would be the right way to put it, I know very little about laptops im afraid), would there be a risk with the multi-voltage of being of it lower quality or behaving weirdly (power surges, not sticking to its designated voltage, etc.)?
>
> Hope you all followed that, any help would be appreciated, as you can see I know f-all about laptops (or electricity)!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dom
> --

A word of advice:  NEVER buy anything from Maplin unless there is no
other option.  Their mark-up on most of the things they sell is between
600 - 2500%, and they invariably sell the cheapest, nastiest example of
any product.  Their employment terms are appalling, so their staff are
almost unifirmly useless.  Please boycott this dreadful company!

Get your power supply from CPC - much cheaper, reasonable quality, and
friendly, helpful service.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk