[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Sysadmin/Helpdesk/1st-line support AND Reasonable Salary

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Feb 3 08:08:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, February 3, 2011 01:20, James Roberts wrote:
> I'd like to thank everyone who commented on the position we advertised.

[snip lengthy, but interesting, post]

<fx>List Admin Hat on</fx>

I think James & Tet[0] have hit the nail on the head.  We should welcome
people who take the time to advertise jobs here in accordance with our
posting guidelines.  You may not like the number attached to any given
vacancy, but you have the very simple option of not applying for it.  An
employer getting no responses to a vacancy is the best clue they can get
that there is a problem with what they are offering.

James is also correct to say that most people do not understand the true
cost of employing someone, especially someone who comes with no skills.
It's a huge risk for the company and, if anything, I think James' numbers
are too conservative.

Unless anyone has anything entirely relevant and on-topic to contribute, I
suggest we now let this thread end.

Thanks

Martin.

[0]  Good grief, it's only February and I'm already having to agree to
Tet. Sheesh.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk