[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Sysadmin/Helpdesk/1st-line support AND Reasonable Salary

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Thu Feb 3 01:20:06 UTC 2011

I'd like to thank everyone who commented on the position we advertised.
Some of your responses gave us all a good laugh at the Board meeting
where we discussed the applications we have had. However, I think they
also demonstrate some misapprehensions and some considerable
misunderstanding of the job application process *from the point of view
of an employer*.

  As a geek who has now been advertising for people for technical roles,
and then employing them with some success (from their viewpoint!), for
some 35 years, I thought it might be worth briefly setting out my views
on the process in the hope it may be of some use to any potential job
seekers on the list, particularly those seeking a first paid responsible
position. Please remember that this job is for someone in that position
- *not* a trained and experienced sysadmin, but someone who may become one.

  1. It was quite notable that (with some clear exceptions) most of
those commenting were not seeking a job  (those seeking a job were
presumably amongst our applicants). However it was also very apparent
that (again with some  clear exceptions) most of those commenting had
not followed the link to the actual job advert on our website.

  It is my experience over the years that there is a clear difference
between those students who get a first, and those who don't. Those who
do, invariably read and follow the instructions given to them in their
course *very carefully*. They look for what the tutors are looking for
in them. So here, part of the person specification is, implicitly,
'someone who can follow simple instructions (and hyperlinks!) accurately’.

  Anyone who had actually followed the link would have found that, for
example, I had only mentioned  (as requested in the GLLUG ad
requirements) the *minimum* salary for the job and not the maximum.
Those interested in a job would have followed the link and seen that we
hope not to pay the minimum stated. That is, we will not pay *less* than
12k for this role.

  They would also have seen that the job specification primarily
describes supporting the Windows desktop and toolset. However depressing
that stuff is, that's what most small businesses use; and that's what
the starter will be doing first. Our hope is that they will have enough
notion of server software, probably Windows but preferably also Linux,
to be brought on to a junior sysadmin role by the end of their first
year of employment.

In passing, it's worth pointing out that a university degree (even from
Oxford or Cambridge) is of little proven direct benefit to any employer.
The level of understanding needed to get a degree does not map well on
to typical employment scenarios. A degree (or similar training) does
show some useful attributes:

- persistence
- organisation
- ability to read and write
- debt management

and a technical degree may indicate numeracy. Getting a first usually
indicates a strong likelihood of the above.

However none of this can be taken for granted, and non-degree candidates
can be just as good.

  2. My common and frequent experience with people who are just leaving
training is that they overvalue their worth *to an employer*. The total
cost of employment of any employee is something that is remarkably hard
to accurately quantify. There is however (for those interested) a
spreadsheet available here:

  http://www.techscribe.co.uk/ta/cost-of-employment.htm

  - which attempts to give some idea of the costs, and the results this
gives align quite well with our experience.

  So, let's say one was paying the minimum and measly 12k mentioned for
someone who might, in the next six months, be fit to be let loose on the
Helpdesk without supervision. I calculate the total costs of employment
(with minimal extra benefits) at being around 25k per annum.

  Now that is a bare minimum. Realistically, we can assume a minimum
involvement of other staff to train and manage a new starter of around 2
hours a day as an absolute minimum over the first six months (and much
more than that for the first month). But even at 2 hours a day, that's
10 hours a week, or around 25% of a income-earning staff members
billable time (billed usually at a net cost to the company of around 125
per hour).

  If we assume a minimum value for all that, then the real costs of
employment to the company for the first year, with salary of some 12k
gross, is more like 31k for the first year as an absolute minimum.

  Now how much is this employee going to contribute to our bottom line?
Well that's simple, it will start at zero and we must hope that by the
end of the first year we may be able to anticipate a future break-even
situation.

  So the cost of the new employee to the company is at least 31k with no
direct benefit in the first year. The only person to benefit directly is
the new employee, who has at least been paid and gained some experience.
The company has paid out and not gained any experience.

To give some idea of what the employee would have to contribute in a
typical small B2B company to earn their pay, each full-time employee of
my company bills about 85k per annum currently for the company. To
enlarge further, that is half from sales and half from services. On
sales we average 2% profit on sales; that’s quite good in the industry.

To address another related point: we are a small company, and the
employment conditions are quite different to those in a large
organisation. This brings freedom, but demands responsibility. This
suits some people and not others.

As another related point, we need someone who ‘gets’ hardware and
software. This is not something I have found to be teachable. There are
brilliant systems programmers (who usually ‘get’ hardware) and brilliant
application programmers (who usually don’t). There are sysadmins who can
manage a few scripts, but who no-one would describe as gifted
programmers: but conversely, who I can completely trust with clients’
data and hardware. That’s what I’m looking for - as a trainee. I don’t
know any way to specify such a person that works better than this.

  3. This brings me to the probationary period. There seems to be some
misunderstanding of this. In UK employment law there is no special
provision for a 'probationary period'. The comments seemed to see it as
being equivalent to 'being on probation' - but we do not expect to
recruit from the output of the probation service :)

  What a probationary period really is is exactly what the derivation of
the word indicates  - ‘probare', 'testing', 'trying'. *We* are trying
the candidate to see if they fit the job and the company, and testing to
see if one day they will make a profit. *The candidate* is testing the
job and the company to see if these fit with them, and whether they want
to commit to a permanent position with us.

  The probationary aspect is entirely two-way.

  We use a year as a probationary period, because in previous experience
we have found candidates who were still not at a level where we could
offer a full-time post after six months, but who were sufficiently
promising to not terminate at that point. Stating the year makes this
explicit from the outset.

  There were comments on how, at the end of the period, a new staff
member should immediately become a full staff member. Well this of
course is what a full-time position implies. But employment law does not
suddenly change after one year's employment. A staff member with one
year's experience of their job is still going to be very junior, when
compared with one who has 20 years' experience. There's no way round that.

There’s some good info on the legal situation at:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/contracts_of_employment.htm

4. What constitutes a ‘reasonable salary’? This is difficult to define.
Over my working (and employing) life, I have repeatedly found that
people who were attracted by a salary (rather that the potential for
them to fulfil themselves in a job) were unhappy employees, and not
employees for very long. If your interest is income, then the best
prospects in IT are in the financial programming area in the City, and
in the support services that go with that. That’s also where all my
unhappiest contacts work :)

If you really want lotsa money then you probably need to be an innovator
and an entrepreneur (with enormous luck), rather than an employee, and
IT is probably not where you should be working at all. Nor is the UK
ideal for this, due to the lack of available SME investment capital.

Many people who do work for themselves get sufficient satisfaction to
override the income cut they also typically take.

On the other hand, those who like to separate life and work (and perhaps
want to raise a family) often find that being employed suits them well,
and they need a salary that reflects their proven value to be content.
That is something that varies based on far too many factors to
generalise here.

5. As a final point, one thing that must be apparent to most people by
now is that information on mailing lists and social networking sites is
all too permanent. While I am clear that most comments were from people
not at all interested in the advertised opportunity, what if our next ad
is for a full-time (or perhaps contract) PERL developer? So I would urge
moderation rather than a slagging-off, where possible :)

It’s perhaps not overall advisable to start (just to pick an example,
Peter) venting about ‘Dickensian employers’ (especially without
following the link, or finding out what the whole job offer is!).

I am happy with the response to the ad, and the quality of candidates
who are applying for the post, though most of them have come direct from
Prospect rather than through this list I think :)

Since I think it important to take people off the streets :) I will
continue to advertise (occasionally) positions for starters as they
become available.

And thank you, Tet, for your voice of reason.

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane