[Gllug] OpenChange and SOGo

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Tue Feb 1 20:20:38 UTC 2011

On 01/02/2011 19:34, Walter Stanish wrote:

> Honestly, my advice would be to get your company to fork the few bucks
> for Google hosting and let the pain of hosting your own email
> infrastructure, spam filtering, configuration, sync setup,
> cross-platform setup instructions, proprietary protocols, etc. become
> a dirty remnant of the past.  SMTP is so painful these days that it's
> WORTH paying someone else to do it.  And with mobile access demands,
> the cost of proprietary solutions that provide the critical fluff
> ("how can i book a conference room?") and calendaring support ...
> basically google's offering is pretty hard to turn down.

I've been using Google Apps since 2006 and I can honestly say it's gone
downhill over the past year.  It's taken Google two months to sort out
Postini problems, there have been infrastructure issues which have
resulted in terrible piss-poor Gmail performance (although to be fair,
Google Docs and Calendar have been working fine for the most part).
Google's Enterprise Support is not a patch on local support - unless you
go through a Google Apps reseller, of course.

So I've gone back to self-hosting my own email.  It's fast, I can
monitor it and fix it if there are any problems, and I have granular
control over delivery and spam/AV control.  Postini is far too clunky
and distant from Google Apps and although works, has serious problems
with Google Groups integration.

I will grant Google that it has taken calendaring and contact support
for mobiles to new levels, but I use SyncML to do all that for the
iPhone and Thunderbird.  A tad cumbersome, but it works for me.

Mart
--
www.10for10.org.uk / www.lovewithoutboundaries.com
Raising $10k for LWB to help 10 kids by our 10th wedding anniversary

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk