[Gllug] OT: Police Web Site

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 20:53:41 UTC 2011

On 5 February 2011 19:04, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
> My Chinese friend, who has only one name, just enters it twice on forms
> that assume two names.  This seems to be a suitable solution (as in this
> case it doesn't alter the meaning of her name).

Yes: My Tamil mother-in-law has several names:

 - The 'pet' name her family calls her.
 - Her 'official' christian name, but is given to all girls in her family.
 - What we would call her surname, but really means 'daughter of Selvatnum'
 - A sort of tribal name which describes the area/locale where she grew up.
 - A name that people from the area would use to differ between other families.

She was very confused on arriving here in the 50s when people asked what her
name was. It still makes for a slightly confusing conversation. She
said it all became
a lot simpler when she stuck to one.

Tid
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk