[Gllug] Glxgears

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 4 20:40:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, February 4, 2011 21:25, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> My Dell Inspiron laptop is running Fedora 14 (64-bit) and so
> far I've been happy with the performance.
>
> I now want to run some graphical applications.  To benchmark
> the system I ran glxgears which reported a consistent 59
> FPS.
>
> However, googling for similar data I came across sites
> reporting 2000+ FPS.
>
> What should I expect?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mick               /"\
>                    \ /
> Linux Registered    X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> User #287765       / \ Against HTML Mail
> --

59 fps seems extremely low. My desktop (dual core intel with nvidia
graphics) reports about 2475 fps for example.

The problem may be that you are running software gl emulation (i.e. mesa)
rather than using the hardware.

Try running glxinfo and look at the output. It should tell you what gl
driver you are using. What kind of graphics card do you have on the
machine ?

Salsaman.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk